Call for a Free
Phone Consultation

HomeAttorney ProfileFamily LawFAQ Family LawContact
I am confident that I can help you get effective results which protect your interests. Learn why you should hire me.
I believe that you need information about the options in order to make a decision. Learn if divorce is right for you.
I’m committed to finding the best outcome for your children, your finances and your future. Don’t wait to let me help your family.
Contact Us
Due to the sensitive nature of the matter I will not leave a voicemail unless noted otherwise.
Areas of Practice
Child Custody & Visitation
Child Support
Contested Divorce
Division of Assets and Equitable Distribution
Spousal Maintenance
Modifications & Enforcement
Qualified Domestic Relations Orders
Grandparents Rights
Legal Separation
Prenuptial Agreements
Protective Orders

Grandparents' Rights in New York

Put a Buffalo Family Law Attorney in Your Corner

Divorce doesn't just impact the spouses involved – it often touches the lives of both children and grandparents in a significant way. Fortunately, just because a divorce occurred does not mean you have to end your relationship with your grandchildren. New York has certain provisions for grandparents who want to ask the court for visitation or custody of their grandchildren.

Despite these provisions, it's not guaranteed that the court is going to give you what you want simply because you ask. Fortunately, I am a Buffalo family lawyer with more than 10 years of experience who has handled countless cases successfully. I can help you prepare a strong case, navigate the court system, and ensure that your best interests are advanced. To learn more, request a free initial consultation today.

What are my custody and visitation rights?

In New York, grandparents are allowed to petition for visitation or custody if they have the "standing" to do so. Legally, standing refers to a grandparent's ability to meet certain requirements before petitioning the court. When it comes to visitation or custody, a grandparent has standing if:

  • Either or both of the child's parents are deceased
  • Other extraordinary circumstances permit the court to intervene

If a prolonged distraction of custody has occurred, it can qualify as an extraordinary circumstance, such as when a parent voluntarily gives up control of their child to the grandparent. When the court establishes that an extraordinary circumstance exists, the grandparent is responsible for proving that their request is in the best interests of the child.

I am prepared to help you verify the reason for your request of visitation or custody. Whether by physical evidence or witness accounts, I want to do whatever it takes to strengthen your petition in court. Your relationship with your grandchild matters and my firm is here to protect that relationship.

Though the court always has discretion in these matters, I can help you maximize your chances for success on your petition. Reach out to my firm for personal legal representation from an experienced family attorney in Buffalo, New York.

The Law Office of Charles A. Messina - Buffalo Divorce Attorney
Located at 3990 McKinley Pkwy #3
Buffalo, NY 14219. View Map

Phone: (716) 980-1959 | Local Phone: (716) 634-7777.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Facebook Twitter Google Plus